Human Resources and Risk Management
The City of Ocean Springs Department of Human Resources and Risk Management is led by Director Mindy McDowell. As human resources professionals, we are focused on serving the City and all City employees. We are members of the Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM), the largest professional association for HR professionals in the world, and the International Personnel Managers Association (IPMA). Our office is located in the cottage just west of City Hall on Porter Avenue.
The primary functions of our department are:
- Job Announcements
- Receipt and Processing of Employment Applications
- Arrangement of Civil Service Testing, Hearings, and Other Issues
- New Hire Orientations
- Drug and Alcohol Screening
- Benefits Management – Including Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, Supplemental, FSAs
- Retirement Management – Membership in Public Employees’ Retirement System of Mississippi (PERS)
- Policy Creation, Revision, and Interpretation
- Insurance Management – Including Property, Wind, Fleet, Liability, Worker’s Compensation, and Unemployment
- Health Issues – Work-Related Innoculations, DOT Physicals
- Liability and Risk Issues – All facets of Worker’s Compensation, liability claims, court cases, insurance, medical separation, and various other factors affecting risk management.
- Annual Employee Wellness Fair
- Open Enrollment and Annual Benefits Updates – Benefits compliance and administration is a constantly changing arena for human resources professionals; this department is responsible for providing the best possible benefits for City employees. Over the past several years, legislative changes have brought additional compliance requirements and/or offered the opportunity for new and innovative programs that successfully support our organization.
Reporting Incidents to Risk Management
If you have sustained property damage or been injured on the job or by city property or a city employee, you should immediately call the Director to report the incident and to photo document the injury/damage for your protection and accuracy in possible claims. Call our office during normal business hours at (228) 872-3338. If after hours, call the Emergency Dispatcher at the Ocean Springs Police Department at (228) 875-2211.