Human Resources and Risk Mgmt
The City of Ocean Springs Department of Human Resources and Risk Management is led by Director Mindy McDowell. Our office is located in the cottage just west of City Hall on Porter Avenue.
As HR professionals, we are focused on serving the City and all City employees in a variety of ways. The primary functions of our department are:
- Job Announcements and Receipt and Processing of Employment Applications
- Coordination with the City’s Civil Service Commission for Employment Testing
- New Hire Orientations
- Coordination of Drug and Alcohol Screening; Work-Related Vaccinations; DOT Physicals
- Benefits Management including Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Supplemental, FSAs
- Retirement Management including Public Employees’ Retirement System of Mississippi (PERS); Mississippi Deferred Compensation Plan; Roth IRA
- Employee Policy Creation, Revision, and Interpretation
- Insurance Management including Property, Wind, Fleet, Liability, Worker’s Compensation, and Unemployment
- Liability and Risk Management including all facets of Worker’s Compensation, liability claims, court cases, insurance, medical separation, and various other factors affecting risk
- Open Enrollment and Annual Benefits Updates – Benefits compliance and administration is a constantly-changing arena for human resources professionals; this department is responsible for providing the best possible benefits for City employees. Legislative changes often bring additional compliance requirements and/or offer the opportunity for new and innovative programs that successfully support our organization.
Reporting Incidents to Risk Management
If you have sustained property damage or personal injury that you believe to be caused by the City, or if you are a City employee who has been injured on the job, you should immediately call the HR/Risk Director to report the incident, and to photo document the injury/damage for your protection and accuracy in possible claims. Call our office during normal business hours at (228) 872-3338. If after hours, call the Emergency Dispatcher at the Ocean Springs Police Department at (228) 875-2211.