The City Clerk’s office is directed by Shelly Ferguson. The Clerk’s office provides general support that is critical for the success of the governing authorities. The Clerk, pursuant to the requirements of State law, performs many duties essential to the operation of a municipal government. These duties include the following items:
Clerk of Mayor and Board of Aldermen
- Keeps the “Municipal Minutes” in which all official actions of the governing authorities are recorded.
- Keeps the Ordinance Book and certifies ordinances.
- Keeps the “Municipal Docket” (AGENDA), the list of subjects to be acted upon by the governing authorities at their meeting.
- Certifies, with the mayor, all municipal codes after adoption of the Board of Aldermen.
- Serves as custodian of the municipal seal.
- Keeps the financial records in proper order for budgetary and audit purposes.
- Prepares budgets and budget amendments in accordance with Governmental Fund Accounting Standards.
- Keeps a “Docket of Claims” in which are recorded all accounts payable.
- Issues, with the approval of the governing authorities, warrants to pay claims.
- Serves as Treasurer and auditor of the municipality.
- Makes monthly financial reports to the governing authority.
- Administers grant and bond registers.
Tax Assessor and Collector
- Prepares tax levy for city and school district.
- Receives tax settlement and distributes to city and school district.
- Issues licenses and permits.
- Prepares payroll for approximately 200 employees.
- Maintains personnel records.
- Files required federal and state reports and reports to the Public Employees Retirement System.
- Serves as registrar of voters.
- Conducts municipal general and special elections.
Utility Billing and Collections
- Reads approximately 7,800 water meters per month.
- Bills and collects water, sewer, and garbage fees monthly.
- Preserves public records.
- Records and directs citizen concerns and complaints.
Citizens are welcome to contact the City Clerk’s office by phone or in person. The office is open from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
May 5 – 13, 2013 was proclaimed City Clerks’ Week!